Assistant Editor (12-month fixed term contract)
An exciting opportunity has arisen for an assistant editor at Apollo, one of the world’s most prestigious art magazines, on a 12-month fixed term contract to cover a period of maternity leave.
The post involves a wide range of editorial tasks. Applicants should have experience of working in an editorial office, and of copy- and sub-editing and preparing a print magazine for production. A good knowledge of both the history of art and the contemporary art world is desirable.
- Managing the production cycle of the print edition and supplements (managing proofs; adding proofing marks; preparing pages for sign off)
- Working alongside the magazine’s senior editors, copy-editing articles for print and online and working with contributors on pieces
- In collaboration with the editorial team, sub-editing articles in InDesign
- Preparing some articles for online publication using the Apollo CMS
- Proof-reading articles in print and online prior to publication
- Commissioning some articles for Apollo in print and online
- Working with the Apollo editorial team on the magazine’s digital operations where required
- Contributing articles about art and the art and museum worlds for Apollo
- Representing the magazine at Apollo events, as well as at press previews and other art world events
- Previous experience of working in an editorial office
- Previous experience in the fields of arts journalism or publishing
- Copy- and sub-editing experience for print and online
- Experienced user of InDesign or a comparable desktop publishing programme
- Comfortable using a CMS system such as WordPress to upload, edit and lay out articles online
- A demonstrable interest in art history and contemporary art, and knowledge of the art and museum worlds
- A working knowledge of social media
- Excellent written and communication skills
- Detail-oriented; understands the importance of meeting deadlines
- Willingness to take direction and work in close collaboration with the magazine’s editors and writers
- Able to multi-task and adapt easily to change and changing priorities
- Some knowledge of image rights and artist’s copyright
- A foreign language would be desirable
To apply, please email a current CV to email@example.com, together with a covering letter outlining your suitability for the role. Please also include your current salary and, if applicable, your notice period.
The deadline for applications is Wednesday 8 August 2018. If you have not heard from us by Wednesday 22 August 2018, please assume that you have not been selected for an interview.