The Rupfs were the first private Swiss collectors to occupy themselves with abstract art. At the beginning, they were guided by their personal taste in the formation of their collection and in 1954 their holdings—approximately 250 artworks as well as many art books—were given to the Museum of Fine Arts Bern as a foundation, an extremely significant contribution to the museum’s collection. Today, the foundation’s collection consists of more than 900 works including paintings, sculptures, and works on paper. Read more.
In the news
A proposal to sell off ‘non-medical’ books in the institution’s library takes too narrow a view of the history of medicine
Museums face difficult financial choices, but there has to be a better way forward than the pitting of staff against permanent collections
The Syrian-born, US-based artist talks to Gabrielle Schwarz about his sculptural dioramas of cities ravaged by war – and offers a message of hope for the future